Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Hungry Reflection

I was all alone today at home and very much hungry, and as it usually is when I’m all by my lonesome, I also found myself on a pensieve mood. 
Hunger and reflection, quite an odd combination coming from opposite sides of man’s spectrum,  id est instinctive, which is a baser  function  and intellective, which is our highest faculty.  These made me realize some things about myself,  specifically regarding my aesthetics lately.
As of the late, I keep on finding myself being drawn to simple subjects that have something quirky about them.  Seemingly uncomplicated things that have an underlying oddity that only a somewhat “weirdo” (loosely used)  like me would see.  It’s like looking at the ordinary with extraordinary eyes.
 With this playing in my mind while raiding our ref, I decided to make myself something simple to eat, no fuss,  nothing too complicated, but something that  has an image of being special. 


A few slices here, a little searing there, some simple but nice plating,  and this is what I made:
Seared Tuna Sashimi with Wasabi and Soysauce, from leftover fresh frozen tuna last sunday






Grilled Unagi, from a long forgotten pack of frozen unagi at the back of our freezer from who knows when






































And of course, a small bowl of rice, the stickier the better

























In an ideal world, I would eat these everyday, well the unagi and the rice maybe but the tuna, I think alternating it with salmon would be much better.  :)

Oooh and I forgot....Uuni, add some uuni to the equation and that's heaven!